KING OF NEW YORK HACKS

Follow and ye shall be Knighted !!!
KNIGHTS OF THE ROUND TABLE !

KNIGHTS OF THE ROUND TABLE

Share

Twitter Follow

Follow KINGOFNYHACKS on Twitter

Wednesday, July 16, 2008

Watch out Mr. Softee !!! The Good Humor Man is back in New York City !!!!!

ROBERT WITH THE LAST GOOD HUMOR TRUCK IN NEW YORK

IN FRONT OF MILLENIUM HOTEL ACROSS FROM GROUND ZERO


ROBERT THE GOOD HUMOR MAN



When I was a kid living in Astoria, Queens and then in Staten Island, there were two distinct sounds which would make you freeze in your tracks no matter what you were doing almost as fast as a case of explosive diarhea hitting you. No , no ...not my mother screaming for me to come home or my father ready to beat my ass for something wrong I did, (which made me run , not freeze). It was the unique musical sound of Mr.Softee or the Good Humor Man bells ringing just like they ring during a catholic mass, and both sounds were religious back then. I used to get my Ice cream bars from Good Humor and my Milk Shakes or a Parfait from Mr.Softee. Ahhhhh, good times. But as the years went by Mr.Softee stayed and Good Humor dissappeared. So when I was walking around downtown Manhattan and saw this beautiful oasis on a hot day , I just had to know where he's been hiding for so long. He told me not to worry , and that he's back on the run around NYC. I bought the old staple Eskimo Pie , chocolate covered vanilla ice cream on a stick and my girlfriend ordered a traditional vanilla chocolate cup. Delicious on a hot day with great memories haunting me with every bite. I did warn Robert though that as kids , we used to wait for the Good Humor Man to pull away , and he always drove slow, one of the faster kids would run to the back door of the truck , open it up and grab all the ice cream he could and spread the wealth..again this is something I can't confirm nor deny. Robert knew about this trick and told me he keeps everything up front with the door locked in th back. I thanked him for his info and the ice cream as he told me Al Roker was to drive the truck on the Today show the day of the All Star game. I hope it went well and you get to enjoy an experience as I did, stay cool everyone...and remember I am the King of New York Hacks.


The infamous back door of The Good Humor truck which

gave a lot of kids free ice cream at one time. From what I hear of course. ;-)

Also , notice the competition truck of Mr. Softee in the upper right hand corner.







1 comment:

  1. Competition, U-Bet! Softee's pineapple sundaes were unbeatable, but then, could a chocolate eclair pop touch Bungalow Bar's burst cone? Memories sure are sweet.

    ReplyDelete