KING OF NEW YORK HACKS

Follow and ye shall be Knighted !!!
KNIGHTS OF THE ROUND TABLE !

KNIGHTS OF THE ROUND TABLE

Share

Twitter Follow

Follow KINGOFNYHACKS on Twitter

Thursday, April 2, 2009

The King , the Kidney , and good Karma.

First off, I'd like to thank all of you who read or left a comment on my prior post regarding my nephew going through a kidney transplant. The comments were really supportive for me and my family. I printed them out and even had the family read them. They loved the responses. My family was very fortunate to have lots of support, but having people that I only know from blogging respond with such friendship and positive thoughts was very reassuring, and we are grateful. When an event like this happens, its almost like time stands still, which is why I was not around for a month helping with the other children. Now, I can go on and on about it, but I'll get to the point. The operation was a success and father and son are doing extremely well and are finally home although there are still frequent Doctor's visits and medications, they both look fantastic. I give all my family, friends, fellow bloggers, Doctor's,Nurses and all the people who sent good karma our way to achieve such a successful father to son kidney transplant the King's thumbs up !!






This was the picture from the Daily News which ran a story on the day they were operated on.
Poor little guy was emaciated and kidneys only working about 12 percent. This is a picture of how much a father loves his family. A GREAT man.



This was eerie visiting this hospital because my mother died here in 1997, now I was entering a completely different scenario, and one I would rejoice in. The good with the bad as the old story goes. This time around I was on the bright side of the story.




New York Presbyterian Hospital, where they perform magic and miracles on a daily basis.





Sister and identical twin brother who has the same disease, get to visit for the first time !!!




As I was walking to the room to visit the child after I dropped off the kids so I could park the car, I lifted up my head in surprise and saw the father walking down the hallway with Uncle Angelo !!! This was a day after the surgery and he was walking briskly through the hallways with a little help from painkillers of course !! However thats the way they do it, they want you moving and now less one kidney get the other one functioning right away !! Thats one tough father !!!....and Uncle Angelo has one tough moustache !!!! LOL




I had to take a photo op now !!
That's the King of Hacks on the right and The King of Kidney on the left !!!! Unbelievable !!!!





I finally got to visit my nephew attached to many tubes and machines, his biggest complaint..."I'm bored" he said. This is another tough man. Real tough.



His spirits started to get better when they brought this friendly sterile Golden Retriever in !!





....and when I asked him to smile, he stuck his tongue out at me....
A great sign to me that he was feeling better !!




The father helping his son gain some of the weight he lost with a nice corned beef St.Patty's style !!





Finally, this is a Picture of young Alan from the other night, 3 weeks after the surgery looking like a million bucks !!!


I really don't have a profound closing today , just that I am very happy with the results and hope his brother will not need a kidney for a long time. Thanks again everyone for your kindness, and from this experience I have become much more aware of how being a donor is so important and I encourage it. Now that I'm back I'll make sure I bring you up to date with the pulse of the city as I remain faithfully yours , The King of New York Hacks. It feels good to write again, I missed it and you. Peace all.

34 comments:

  1. Oh! I wish I would've known! I've been missing from the blogging world for a while now. I'm sending post-surgery well wishes everyone's way. (Also, it's so good to see you in a picture.)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Such great news! The miracle of modern medicine really is amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Unbelievable and selfless.

    I forgot this procedure was taking place. It's great that everyone is doing well. You really stepped up to the plate to help the other kids. You're a very kind and caring person.

    Now get out there and bring us some good pics of Springtime in NYC. I'll be patiently waiting....

    ReplyDelete
  4. i figured you were helping the fam through this surgery and i am so happy to hear it all went well. i hope and pray his bro stays healthy for many years to come. we missed ya, king. and again, welcome home! (blog home).
    i like how you said you keep us on the up and up of the pulse of the city. god, that sounds SO NEW YORK! i loved it. gives me a kind of comfort, for some reason.

    the pulse of the city......
    ah, like an old warm friend.....

    C
    C

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've never been there as a patient, so no horror nor, happy stories to report. But i've heard it's the best hospital in New York City, and that's quite an achievement. He was in very good hands.

    Glad to hear things are well for the family.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm so pleased to hear the good news! Medicine has come such a long way! How fortunate we are!
    Best wishes for continued healing!
    ~AM

    ReplyDelete
  7. So glad to hear things are going well with your family.

    I never knew how cute you were before :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hot damn!! Yahoo! And congrats!! I'm so happy to hear (and see) he is doing better!

    And welcome back...you were missed!

    Hallie

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great news.

    What a lovely family.

    I'll keep praying and sending lots of good vibes over your way.

    Your nephew does look healthy and happy.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm crying with joy now. That's so so so great, King.

    Nice to see your full picture too, Handsome!

    Please keep us updated, eh??

    Rock on, good guy.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi! I missed your posts, but now I understand why you were gone!

    That's so great to see that both father and son are doing well! It's still amazing to me that things like this can be done!

    I'm hoping that a huge weight has been lifted off of you and your family with the success of the surgery. Keep us all posted...

    I also have to add, it's nice to see your face! :D

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hey The King is BACK!
    * : )
    I am so glad your nephew came through with flying colors. You do not want to mess with a kidney, ever. (I had a huge kidney stone last year! Ugh!) Wishing y'all the best from the 505!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Good to see you back! I was up in your neck of the woods last weekend for a funeral. Didn't you see me? 1st and 61st, near the Queensboro Bridge. You mean that wasn't you that drove by? Oh well.

    I'm happy to hear about your nephew. Now pay it forward by donating blood or getting on the bone marrow donor registry.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Happy to hear the good news! Always tough to see a kid in a hospital- unless they're fixing him...

    ReplyDelete
  15. Such an inspiring story. So very glad your nephew is doing so well. What a proud and miraculous event for all involved!

    ReplyDelete
  16. That's fabulous!
    And he does look fantastic.
    Love to hear stories about families pulling together... looks like you've got a good one!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Haven't been around for awhile so I didn't know about the operation. Glad to hear it was a success though.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I was just about to email you to see where you've gotten to; I've been busy at work, and do a quick read, then mark as new to come back and scrutinize and watch the movies. I somehow missed your nephew's surgery in the interim. Crap.

    I'm so glad he's doing well, sounds like he has an amazing family around him. Does he know how famous his Uncle King is?

    Hugs all around, glad to see you back.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I finally gave you the link you so richly deserved.

    ReplyDelete
  20. That is one awesome story and an incredible recovery! Beautiful pics too. Yes, organ donation is so damn important - I'm with you on that.

    ReplyDelete
  21. That is one handsome, happy looking young man! So glad the surgery went well and he's doing so well!

    ReplyDelete
  22. I am so pleased that the operation went well. My cousin Vincent had the same op and I know just how stressfull it can be for the whole family.
    Give young Alan our best regards from all the London Cabbies.

    ReplyDelete
  23. I am so happy to hear this and to see the photos!! What a great thing the dad did!! This is a bond that will be stronger than DNA for years to come!! Welcome back and I look forward to more from you when you have time!!

    ReplyDelete
  24. I figured you were gone for this reason...Every time I checked in I said a little pray...I'm so happy that all went well!

    My husband lost a brother to this very same operation...but, it was back in the 60's when this was still not perfected. His brother, Christopher was a little trooper and never complained. His story made the papers and he was even interviewed by Walter Cronkite!

    So, I asked/prayed to my husbands brother...asking him to send down some good vibes!
    I know he's an angel up there watching out for special kids.
    OK, now you think I'm a complete kook! :D

    Have a wonderful Holiday weekend... and it was so nice to see your smiling face.

    ReplyDelete
  25. My first visit to your blog but I am so happy to hear the positive news about your nephew!

    ReplyDelete
  26. He looks great and healthy. I m so glad hes doing so well

    ReplyDelete
  27. What up King! I am glad that the little guy is doing well and my well wishes to your family bro.

    And what's up with all these good looking women on your comment page King?

    ReplyDelete
  28. So glad both are doing well. It's really miraculous what they can do now. It's great that you were there to help out too. I know it means a lot to have family there for you. Hugs

    ReplyDelete
  29. So nice to find another NYC blog. I live in and blog from Brooklyn. Glad to read that your nephew had a successful transplant operation and I hopr he goes on to live a happy productive life!

    ReplyDelete
  30. Just found you recently and am so impressed.

    ...left something for you in my SECOND post today!

    ReplyDelete
  31. This post made me cry. My nephew in England is just starting peritineal (sp?) dialysis this week. At 16 he has suffered his whole life and can't get a transplant due to issues with his bladder. I am so pleased for your family, it is very hard and moving to support loved ones through these times. Cheers Sally

    ReplyDelete
  32. Your photos make me miss this city that I love and have only been to once. How can you miss a city that much when you're only there for a couple of days?

    By the way, I appreciate your nice words.

    ReplyDelete
  33. o my goodness, what a wonderful family you have! support like that no money in the world can pay for! there is true love! that is what this world SHOULD be built on!! best wishes to you all and i'm hoping your nephew is feeling better day by day! anywhoooo i would like to take a moment to bestow you with an award that will hopefully make you smile, stop by my blog to pick it up!
    shelley
    http://iamstillstandingafterallthistime.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  34. Hooray for your adorable nephew! Gosh, I've been wondering about him since February, man. I see you posted this last month. Dang, am I behind, or what?

    Good to see things went well though. :]

    And you save me so much money. I have no need to travel to New York. Not now at least. Lol. I can visit it here. Your photos are wonderful.

    :]

    ReplyDelete