KING OF NEW YORK HACKS

Follow and ye shall be Knighted !!!
KNIGHTS OF THE ROUND TABLE !

KNIGHTS OF THE ROUND TABLE

Share

Twitter Follow

Follow KINGOFNYHACKS on Twitter

Friday, December 18, 2009

The King of New York Hacks ...Brooklyn...and A Dyker Heights Christmas.

NO SLEEP TIL BROOKLYN !!!! Nice shot of the Brooklyn Bridge with The Empire State building in the back of it.



Heading into Dyker Heights passing the Veterans Administration Hospital with The Verrazano bridge lights to the right.




The VA as most people refer to it...I used to transport a lot of Veterans to this hospital when I was just a kid volunteering at a nursing home my mother worked at. My job was just to stay with them and keep them company for the whole day during whatever tests or doctors they had to see...I tell ya, be grateful for all our Veterans, the King heard some incredible stories from many different wars and most of the stories I can still recall quite vividly. A great experience when I was only 17 years old, truly helped me to always be thankful for the things we overlook sometimes. The VA Hospital puts up the same decoration every year as you can also see the American Flag waving. I remember seeing this many times as a child from the backseat of a car as I went over the Verrazano bridge to visit my Grandmother. Nice how some things don't change.



OK...Welcome to Dyker Heights !!! Yo Santa where da f*** are ya ??



First house I see..not too shabby.



This is a common decoration that you see on many lawns throughout the city...sometimes kids steal them off your lawn...I knew a kid who grabbed a plastic snowman and started running with it one time only to be yanked back on his ass because it was hooked up to about 25 other figures and they were all on lock down...a funny sight to all who saw it...was it the King you ask ??? Me do something like that, c'mon....never !!! ;-)



These carolers have actual music playing along with them , all kinds of holiday tunes.



A Santa statue, and this was a real piece of work.



The Nativity set up without baby Jesus because they will put him in the manger on Christmas Eve.



Not Rudolph, but this reindeer said " Yo King Merry Christmas !! " as he looked at me cross eyed he was so happy to see me.



Mrs.Claus (kinda creepy looking if ya ask me) watching over the candy canes.



Ahhhh...Good ole Frosty with a baby reindeer nearby...he sure is a happy snowman.







You can see how crazy the traffic gets , and this goes on ALL night until about 11pm when the people dim the lights for the evening.





Here is a 2:44 second video of sights and sounds of Dyker Heights.





House across the way.


From trunk to the tip of the branches people go all out with hardd work to get these trees so well lit for us all to enjoy.



This house remined me of the Home Alone house..." Yo Joe Pesci , you in there ??? "
Nope...not the Home Alone house.



They really are well done and fun to look at.


Frosty ...wife...and baby Frost. I don't think I ever saw the whole family together..pretty cool.


This house has the Nutcracker theme to it. Those statues are big.



Dance of the Sugar Plum Fairy


Since were in Brooklyn now, and these guys are staring me down , I don't call them nutcrackers...I call'em "Ballbreakers" !! HaHa!


Dance of the Sugar Plum Fairy...and they did have the ballet music playing, charming indeed.



Christmas Ferris wheel which I wish I could have got on.


Frosty in the streets of Dyker Heights giving out candy to thee cars passing by and taking donations...pretty smart gig, and thee kiddies love it. He told the King to have a Merry Christmas !! Right back at ya Frosty !!


Fake Santa ....right next to...


REAL SANTA !!!!!

KING: "Hey Santa !! Can I have 5 million dollars this year ??"
SANTA: " Shut da F*** up King...I still remember you trying to run with that plastic Frosty!!"
KING: Damn Santa...you ARE good. LOL ;-) I was good from then on though !"
SANTA: "OK..instead of the money , I'll send your blog readers good tidings and health "
KING: "Done deal Santa !! You are DA MAN !!! Thank You !!"
SANTA: " OK..now hit the road hack ! "
KING: " well..Santa..its actually King of...well ..umm never mind..Merry Christmas Santa."


The kiddies were in awe of the "fake" Santa , but the REAL SANTA they were in shock over...cute little girl's face says it all...priceless.


..and as I walked up the stairs of the house Santa was in front of, I got to take a pic of the peppermint red and white striped candy he was giving to everyone, even the King got one !!
Santa loves me.


...at the front window of this home they had a couple of beautiful statues like this one ...


and this pretty elf...


and they let you view the inside of their living room !!! WOW !! I think those are all the stuffed animals that Macy's has a theme around every year ..looks like a child's paradise in there !! Notice the dining room in the back , with full bouquet of fresh flowers. They don't miss a thing!


Their lovely tree and you can see thee stairs to the upper floor where the family probably is hiding !!


Now this coffee table is being used for many things..look at all thee wires on the right....you think they have a high electric bill this month ?? Whoa !



Two wooden soldiers standing guard in the Heights.



A two minute video of the chaos of the area ending with me bumping into some of our military.



However the King got to chat and laugh with those soldiers as we shared stories and enjoyed the feeling in the air...but when it became photo time ...these proud Marines went into full Marine mode...Thank you men, they will be returning to the war and I wished them a safe passage home...Thank you and God Bless the both of you and all your comrades.


You had to walk up some stairs to see the front yard of this house, you can see all the silhouettes of heads looking at Giant Santa !!



...and GIANT he was !!! WOW !! He's as big as the House !!




..which this house was appropriately named ..."TOYLAND"




Which reminds me...I have to watch "March of The Wooden Soldiers" with Laurel and Hardy, one of my all time favorit Christmas movies.




Carolers , lights, music...what a spirit in the air.




These guys were like soldiers at Buckingham Palace...no matter what the King did ..they would not crack a smile or laugh...damn their good...or I'm not funny...I'm going with their good. Ha !


This little blimp reminded me of that little mouse in March of The Wooden Soldiers who would drop little grenades on the Bogeymen...but a penguin in this one.





ELMO !!! Elmo giving out candy with Barney ...actually it wasn't Barney it was just a person in a long purple coat !! Ha Ha !





This was a cool mechanical lawn ornament that if your kid got real close the Bear would growl and shake its head and scare the shit out of many kids as the fake child would pet it to its original position...pretty funny !!




No shortage of Santa's in Brooklyn.



..and where the masses of people are always lies the oppurtunity to make a dollar...this guy parked on a corner and was selling Santa hats , candy canes, not a bad idea at all.




Whoa...this is a long walk ..wonder if there is a bathroom around here ??
Gotta give credit to this house under construction, a fully lit tree with a Mr.John right next to it...only in Brooklyn..Love it !!





..now speaking of opportunity,The King has to head back to the streets of Manhattan or I may miss mine to make some money !!! Outta my way fellow yellow brothers I'm a couple of fares behind on my night !!



..as I stare up the city streets and look at the Empire Statee Building lit up in a magnificent Blue/White/Blue for a Happy Channukah..Happy Hanukkah everyone !! A festival of lights for all to see and share. They change it to Red/Green/Green on the 23rd of December for Christmas.





So in closing ..I hope you enjoyed this little tour through a different region of New York City that my yellow chariot does not go to often, but at Christmas time, people of all beliefs can't resist the lure of Dyker Heights and the spirit it exudes to have you leave with a smile and an appreciation for being a part of this journey through life ...New York City ...and tonight Brooklyn...as I write this there is about 15 inches of snow on the ground outside...good thing I did this walk the other day. I may not be Kris Kringle, or decorate as good as the people of Dyker Heights , but I think even Santa believes deep down, even with my past plastic Frosty incident, that I will drive these streets as safely as he drives his sleigh as he remains Santa, I shall remain from Brooklyn to Broadway....The King of New York Hacks. Peace out peeps.

21 comments:

  1. BIG TIME !! I measured a patio table with a tape measure and it was 16 inches on it !!! My back is going too be sore tomorrow LOC !!! Nice fluffy snow though, good for sleigh riding or skiing, and will be great for snowballs being thrown at my taxi too !!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks! What a great tour (I'll show the people in Gemany). I'll cant believe...

    Whish you "A MERRY CHIRSTMAS and A VERY HAPPY NEW YEAR!"
    Liebe Grüße, Petra

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this post! I've always wanted to see Christmas in NY. My husband grew up in Jersey and he often talks about it.

    Merry Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I reckon between Santa Claus and the U.S. Marines, we are covered!

    The tour brought a smile to may grinchy face this morning, King. Thank you for that. Good luck and godpseed, my man, Merry Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Those are some lovely homes. Thanks for putting up so many photos and for showing the regular part of life as well (electric cords, porta potty) and the photos are so much fun. Glad the Marines were there to get in the photo shoot too.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Cool pics! I love going to Dyker Heights this time of year, and we haven't done it in awhile. I think you've inspired me to take my daughter one night this week! Thanks for a great post!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Stealing lawn ornaments is a great past time. Unfortunately I didn't get into it until I was about 18 or 19.

    Happy Holidays!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks for the great pictures and videos.

    Certainly festive

    ReplyDelete
  9. Always a pleasure seeing your New York! Happy snow day King!

    ReplyDelete
  10. You really are the BEST!!! What a fabulous tour!!! I love it! Even here in Upstate we don't have anything quite that elaborate...and HUGE! Thanks so much for taking the time out of your busy day to share it with us....may you and your family have a terrific holiday season!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. ~ ...wowww!!... ~
    Thanks for another great photo tour, King! I will say those huge 'ballbreakers' are pretty intimidating! *haha!* They could do escurity year-round, huh. Oh and I love "Barney and Elmo" to...*heehee!*
    Y'all have some wonderful christmas spirit up there...

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hey King, THANK YOU! That was an awesome tour of Dyker Hts! Those folks are definitely in the holiday spirit. Their decorations are amazing. And the house you showed us the inside of-- Oy! That is A LOT of stuff!

    I laughed out loud at the "Frosty incident" :-) Ahh, to be young again.

    Hope your Christmas is as fabulous as you are. Happy holidays to you and yours!

    jj

    ReplyDelete
  13. I'm pretty sure this Missouri gal will never make it to Dyker Heights during Christmas. I enjoyed the pictures, videos, and your commentary a lot! Thanks for taking me on the tour with you.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Wow! that was some tour! I like Christmas but that was well overdone! It looked like Christmas threw up in some of those pictures..lol.

    They were fantastic..will show them to my kids tomorrow.

    Thanks for poppin' by my blog earlier! Thanks for the honk from Macy's! Never been to to NYC..someday....


    Breeze

    ReplyDelete
  15. Thanks for visiting Italian for Beginners. Loved your sights!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Thanks SO much for this tour--I enjoyed every second of it! These people really go all out. Loved your stories and I am sure that "unpleasantness" with the plastic snowman was offset by your VA volunteer work :) Be careful in all that snow. Here in the South we just have to stay at home when it snows--nobody can drive in it! Have a very merry Christmas and thanks for joing Deck the Halls!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Thanks for stopping by my blog, and for our condolences regarding my friend Nelson's death. I'm finally getting back in the blogging mood again, and hopefully will post something by tomorrow.

    I'm a former NYC paramedic, and have been living in Rochester, NY for the past 10 years. Nice to see the pics from back home.

    ReplyDelete
  18. The lights and sights of Brooklyn at Christmastime. Thank you for the tour.

    I watched The March of the Wooden Soldiers last week. It was one of my favorite childhood movies too. I laughed at Stan hitting the darts into the boogiemen's butts.

    I like your blog. Thanks for visiting mine.

    ReplyDelete
  19. What a great photo tour! I love all the houses and lawns so decorated. Thank you. Really puts me in the holiday spirit.

    ReplyDelete
  20. I had almost forgotten how extravagant and gaudy NYC looks at Christmas time. Thanks for the memories.

    The last time I was there at Christmas time, I was about 11 years old. WOW! that was 53 years ago.

    ReplyDelete